Friday, November 14, 2008

Homesick


Yes, it is possible to be homesick while you are sitting in the comfort of your home. I don't know why, but I have had the blues for the last week. I can't figure out if it is the fact that I was able to spend so much time with my mom lately, or that I did not get to see my dad enough on his short visit, or if it is because I was not able to help out with Chelsey's kids while she was in Spain. What ever it is- I miss home. I love Texas, it has been a blast to live here, I don't remember being homesick since we have moved here- but since my surgery I have missed home. I think it is because I have spent SOOOOO much time at home this past 5 weeks. I have had time to realize a few things- I have no friends to call up and invite over to scrapbook, or just do nothing with- I have no one to go to a movie or sit on my couch and watch a movie with- I have no mom or sisters around to cry on their shoulder when I have pushed as hard as I feel I can and now want to collapse and die- I have no one to talk girl to girl with- I have no one to make me feel it is OK to just slack off sometimes- I am alone. Since we have moved here I have been so wrapped up in my family that I have not really ever thought about it. I seem to run 90-nothing all the time, all for the benefit of my family. I love the bonding between my family that has occurred since we have moved here- it has been irreplaceable. I just never realized that I have NO ONE to do nothing with. I have always been surrounded by great friends and family. I have always been VERY social. I am not here. I have many friends on my street, I love them. We all have busy schedules though, and so getting together is hard for all of us. I do not have any good church friends. There are many people I really like at church, but I don't have any great friends. This is mostly because I have shut myself out since I have been here. I have been so focused on my family. Most people my age have much younger children so I have less in common with them. Rodney really has not clicked with people in our ward. He is not real happy there, and is very alone. It is hard for me to watch him be unwilling to try to get to know people there. I like our ward ok, it just doesn't feel like "home" being there. It took our kids awhile to adjust to it, but I think they enjoy it now. I just want the to feel at home there. I am just in that funny stage where my kids take us so much time that friendships become less important. I just have had a lot of extra time to think about it lately. I am jealous of the fact that my sisters get to get together and can apples, scrapbook, walk, babysit. I am jealous of the time they get to spend with mom and dad and Nanny and Papa. I am also so happy that they are all together and enjoying it so much. This is my families time to be a family and learn to be dependant on each other. I am so thankful for this time. I am SO glad that I have Rodney, he makes a wonderful best friend and is good company. I just wish I could teleport real quick and play a quick game with my nieces and nephews, hug my beautiful sisters, brothers, and their spouses, spend time in the kitchen with my mom, watch a movie with my dad, enjoy a conversation with my grandparents on their couch- and then be back home before my kids are out of school. I am sure glad we have the computer to keep in touch. I feel so much more a part of their lives since we have started blogging. Hey- maybe that's why I'm homesick!

8 comments:

laurak said...

I know exactly what you mean. I've lived here for 8 years and I still feel that way. I wish I was there with you, I'd hang out and do nothing with you. I bet you do miss your family. Usually the holidays can make you feel homesick, too. Maybe you'll feel better as your leg gets better.:(

melanie said...

There truly is nothing like being around your family. I yearn for that time and love when we are able to have it but sad when it is over. Speaking of.. are you going to NM for Thanksgiving?

Brittani said...

We are homesick for you too! It just isn't the same on a quick visit. But, that is why we love to visit you because we can sit around and do nothing together, and it ROCKS! We would be way okay if you guys moved back at any time!

Mikael Squire said...

Chanel, I have been feeling homesick too! As I think about where this next year is going to take me, it scares me. I love being near the family and it makes me sick just thinking of not being close. I talk about my brothers and sisters non stop, and thinking about being away from my best firends is a scary thought. I was just at dinner talking to my friends about how much I love being a part of a big family, and it seems to get even more fun as we get older. Some of my favorite memories in life are the spend the nights I would have with you and we would stay up all night watching law in order and laughing at your stories. You have always been the best at taking care of all of us, and I wish so badly that I could be there to take care of you! They way you take care of and love your family is a motivation to us all, and I can only hope to ba half as good of a mom as you someday. I love you Nelly, and as soon as I can, I am going to sit around, eat a whole bag of chips and salsa with you, and laugh at your embellished stories until my sides ache!

Chels said...

I'll be with you there Mikael. I'll even cook for you, and you know how I hate to cook. We have been missing you alot lately too.

Annie. said...

We have definitely been feeling homesick lately. We haven't been to NM in so long. In fact, we were talking about it the other day, and it's been so long that we couldn't even remember the last time we were home. Nothing is as good as getting some good time at home with family (although we wouldn't trade for anything the time we've had since we got married to grow together and develop our OWN relationship while living far away from both families).

Alicia said...

I know Texas isn't your home, but you can always spend time with us in Atlanta! We love you, and I know you guys are busy is why we don't see you much, but I hope you know your always welcome. I know what you mean though, and I feel the same way, except that now I'm homesick for Utah and when I'm there I'm homesick for Texas. It's hard! Hang in there!

Cindi said...

Chanel- It had been awhile since I read blogs. It made me feel sad because I know so well what that feels like. Living in New Mesico away from my family and not being able to go home very often was hard. So many times I wished my mom could be with you kids and you know her more. Thank goodness now a days we don't have to worry about long distance phone bills. Some days I was so lonely but couldn't afford to call and if I did it could only be a few minutes. Also it is so much easier to feel contected through e-mails, blogs, etc. Travel is so much easier also. But there is nothing like just being together. We love you and I am with Brittani, you guys were be warmly welcomed home!