Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My New Adventure

Part of why I have been so behind is because I seem to be consumed with my new adventure in life. I have started my own business. What started out as a little repping idea for Rodney has now fully blossomed into my thing to try. First off- my company name is "Power Generation Resources". Right now I am representing a company that works on the mechanical side of the generator (Rodney's company works on the electrical side). Rodney was going to represent them as a "moonlighting" job, but as we pored over contracts and spoke with a lawyer, and then thought about ever angle of it, we decided that he did not want risk making his other mechanical customers angry, and so the best way to avoid it was to have him uninvolved. We then decided that I have met and gotten to know enough people throughout the years that I could rep the company and get the right people the info that needs to be out there. The company that wanted Rodney to rep them was totally happy to have me do it instead. I went ahead and got everything set up with the state, opened my business account, drafted a contract, and spoke with a lawyer. I am in the process of creating a logo and getting some business cards printed up for our trip to Palm Springs in the next couple of weeks. I meet so many people at these conferences that work for the utilities that I thought it would be great to be able to get them my info, and then take theirs for e-mailing them information about the company. We will see how it goes. We have won won job already that is in process right now, so it has cost me nothing yet. If I get more and it takes off - GREAT. If it never does anything- OH WELL, I TRIED. It has taken a lot of time to read up on information, look at accounting information and contracts, talk to lawyers, accountants and other small business owners, but it has been a lot of fun. Rodney has been so great- he really believe in me and my abilities, and that was definitely a shot of confidence that I need to take this on. Wish me luck, I am being told that Bladerunner (the company I rep) is ready for me to find the next project- whew!

7 comments:

Brittani said...

Awesome, exciting to hear it is in the works. I cannot wait to hear how it all went...and good luck!

Chels said...

That is exciting news. Hope all works out well for you.

Mikael Squire said...

Go Nelly! I am so excited for you! I can't think of anyone else who would be better at metting people and making something like this work.

Perry, Christi and Logan said...

That is awesome! I hope it all works out! Best of luck

laurak said...

You are so industrious! I don't really understand what you will be doing, but I'm sure you will be good at it. It looks like you have a good start.

Cindi said...

Chanel how will it work? Will you find the customers and then Rodney write up proposals and do contract work? I am sure you will successful at it. I have strong, smart girls who can do whatever they put their mind to. Thank goodess for their dad's good genes!

Chanel said...

I will actually do it all and just use Rodney's good advice to my advantage. Luckily It does not entail writing up contracts between customers and the company I rep. I already wrote up a contract between them and I, which is being reviewed by a lawyer. I will meet potential customers at shows, or contact people I know and pass out my card and get their info. I will then e-mail them to give them more info on the company and then mail them literature on the company and stay intouch with them. At the same time I will document to the company I rep the contacts I have made. If they need to have some mechanical work done then hopefully they will contact the company or me directly and I will then get them hooked up with the company for quoting. I will assist with the relaying of info f the company needs me to, but basically once they need a quote from them the company takes over. I will get paid a percentage of the total job value if they win, an every job they do for this comany for an certain period of time. It is a way for them to get info on their company out there without having to hire a full time salesman. We will see how it goes!