Saturday, May 12, 2012

Green Greatness

Pinapple, mango, peach, orange green smoothie

The delicious and nutritious yumminess of the Green Smoothie has become a staple of our mornings around the Johnson house.

Banana, strawberry, orange, pinapple green smoothie

You never know what they are going to look like, brown, pinkish, fluorescent green; however you can be assured that they will taste wonderful. And the best part- I am sending my kids off for the day with a serving of fruit and veggies, fiber and vitamins right off the bat.

Homemade banana bread

While the kids also have either eggs, Greek yogurt and granola, or banana bread with it to help them start the day with a full stomach, Rodney and I find that it is the perfect size breakfast for us.

 

Margaritaville Blender <3

My favorite part of making these nutritious pick me ups is my incredible blender. I highly suggest having the Margaritaville blender in your home. They kids love making frozen concoctions all summer, but who would have imagined that it would make such perfect smoothies! The spinach is ground so finely that my pickiest eater can not even find room to complain! A true must have if you plan on making them a daily part of your life.

How do you make them you ask? Easy! I am the type that likes to have a recipe and follow it word for word. I was a bit hesitant to start making these because there really is no recipe. I will admit that my first couple had a bit to be desired, but very quickly I got the hang of it. Basically I start with a handful of spinach. Then I add what ever fruit I desire for the day ( some fresh, some frozen- with a great blender it really doesn't matter). Next I add what juices I am in the mood for so that they just pass the 16 oz line. Some days I add a couple of spoonfuls of vanilla honey greek yogurt or agave nectar if I feel like it. Then I fill my ice holder with ice, dial my blender to smoothies and 3 servings (althought it makes 5 easy), and hit the start switch. Moments later I have the perfect smoothie, and the perfect start to my day!

No comments: