Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo




Ever since we moved to Dallas we have said that we needed to go to the big rodeo in Fort Worth. Every year when we hear on the news that it is over Rodney always says "Another year has gone by without us going. I swear we never do anything to take advantage of the city." Well this year I decided to do something about it so I did not have to hear about how lame we were- so I bought tickets. We were very excited when Myra and Danny decided drive all the way down and join us. We started off leaving late (who us? -no way) so I was a bit irritated with Rodney. However, when we arrived we had a nice dinner (which chilled me out) and a pleasant stroll around the Fort Worth Stockyards. When it was time for the rodeo to start we made our way to the gate and handed them our tickets. Apparently I did not research everything as well as I thought because the Rodeo at the Stockyards was some rinky-dink rodeo, and we were at the wrong place. Now it was Rodney's turn to be irritated with me. We quickly loaded up in the car and drove across town to catch it at a huge venue. Unfortunately, because of our mix-up, we were not able to see the livestock. We did not miss too much of the Rodeo though- which is the best part anyway. I have not quite figured out why, but our family LOVES the rodeo. We have taken the kids ever since they were young to various rodeos. Rodney and I have watched the National Rodeo Finals in Las Vegas. We have joined the PBR. We even watch them on TV. I think we love the goofy comedy, the patriotism that is always brought to them, and the good ol' boy feeling you get when you are at them- plus the bull riding. We saw some great calf and goat roping, some funny wagon races, and some crazy bull riding. It was a lot of fun, but next time we will definitely give ourselves time to walk through the HUGE stock show (and maybe even hit the carnival)!!!!

3 comments:

melanie said...

I have never been to a rodeo but really want to take the kids. I think it would be fun! Maybe we will have to do in next year.

Mikael Squire said...

And find me a husband

laurak said...

We always talk about going to the one here, but never have. I'm glad you finally made it and enjoyed it.