Sunday, August 2, 2009

Cross Country







It has been so fun to watch Declan grow and develop as a runner. When he was little, Rodney and I used to laugh at his cute little clumsy run (although it was not as cute as he got older). His arms would pump across his body, his head would shake from side to side, and he looked like he was tripping over his own feet. If you would have told me that Declan would one day LOVE running and actually be pretty darn good at it, I probably would have thought you were crazy. I would have been wrong. Two years ago Declan decided that he wanted to run cross country in order to stay in shape during the winter. I actually asked him "what cute girl is running". He was a bit offended and said "None. I just want to stay in shape and learn to run". And learn he did. He loved his coach, Coach Tran. Declan would get up early 3 mornings a week and run for a couple hours before school, and then run for a couple hours after school four days a week- CRAZY. He listened to what his coach was teaching him about form, and took it to heart, and developed a beautiful stride. He worked very hard at becoming better and better, and surprised us with his ability to shave seconds off his time EVERY meet. Declan is not someone who was born with a lot of natural athletic ability. He has had to work twice as hard as most people when it come to athletics. Yet he always has- and has become a great athlete. His dedication and hard work has truly impressed me. I am so proud of his determination. We all know that everything he has accomplished he has accomplished through blood, sweat and tears; but he HAS accomplished them. I can not even explain the pride that I feel as I watch his beautiful new stride. It is truly a lesson to me what a GREAT attitude and hard work can accomplish.

1 comment:

laurak said...

Way to go Declan! I'm impressed with his determination.