Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Bodies Rock

Today I saw my doctor for my 2 week follow-up. It AMAZES me how wonderfully the body works, and how quickly it fixes itself. How can you look at a body and not see a miracle. I had all of the tape that was on my incisions removed, and was amazed to see my leg healed- no stitches, no staples, just pulled back together with tape. It is so cool. I also got about 4 pages full of pictures of my surgery. It is amazing what doctors can do to fix us. I love those pictures and am so excited to show them to anyone that will look! My new ligament is BEAUTIFUL. It is so big and looks so strong. I am so excited. I also was able to see my meniscus, and it was pretty cool. It was not only torn, but it had come unattached in a spot and would fold over itself. My doctor (who I think is awesome) told me that he ended up cutting part of it off because it was so torn up and was in a place that allowed him to remove it, and then he reattached the rest of it. My therapist and I were hoping that I would be able to put some weight on it this week, but my doctor said it was too substantial of a tear, and that I would have to wait 2 more weeks. In 2 weeks I will be able to put 25 lbs of pressure on it, and then a week later 50 lbs. So the bad news is- 4 more weeks on crutches, 4 more weeks with this DANG anti-embolism sock (although he is letting me take it off at night now), and I only get to go to therapy (which I love) 1 time a week for the next 4 weeks (my insurance only allows me 18-20 therapy visits, and I have accomplished all that I can do there for now, and I am motivated enough to do the exercises on my own at home, so they want to save the rest for when I can walk again). The good news- I can get my whole leg wet now, no more ace bandage, I am healing very well, and my doctor called me superwoman and told me he wished all of his patients were like me (because I have worked so hard and my movement great, and mostly because I have not taken any pain pills since 36 hours after my surgery). I just feel so lucky in this whole ordeal- #1 because my husband and kids are AWESOME and have totally stepped up and made this very easy and guilt free, #2 because my mom and dad have been so great with all of their help and support, #3 because I am so pleased with my doctor and my therapist, and #4 because I will not have to worry about every little thing popping my knee out- I WILL BE FIXED! I can't believe how wonderfully this has all worked out! I am so pleased with my results, my supportive family, and my miraculous body!

3 comments:

Chels said...

I'm so glad to hear you're healing so well and fast. But did any of us doubt it. Your are a supre woman. What to pass some of that to me. I start training for a 5K and gain ten pounds, what is up with that? Thanks for the update. We love you and miss you.

Brittani said...

Awesome news. You are amazing. I am glad you are going to be newly strong, so nice for you! Thanks for keeping us in the loop and continued good luck!

laurak said...

I'm so glad you are healing so well. Post some pictures of your leg and operation. I love stuff like that. It must be because I grew up helping my dad operate on animals. I am amazed how the obdy works, too.
Way to go! Hard work pays off.