Sunday, October 12, 2008

October 10, 2008- Decota turns 12!


I can't believe how quickly 12 years has passes me by. Twelve years ago Decota made a statement as she came into the world. I think she has been making them ever since. Let me explain.

I was not ready for Decota to be born. I had a lease that was up within a couple days, was waiting on our first house to close, and had a million things to do. Decota's pregnancy had not been the easiest one. Although I felt great, I was having a lot of pain in my side because of the way she was laying on my hip. At times my left leg would kind of drag behind, and I worried that she might break my hip when she came out. It also seemed that she was not growing like she should. There was very little amniotic fluid in the sac, and the Dr. was very worried about this. He was also worried about my body because of how many times I had been pregnant within the last year (Declan's pregnancy, five months later when I was pregnant again and then miscarried three months into it, and then two weeks after my miscarriage when I found out I was pregnant with Decota). Towards the end of my pregnancy with her I was going in for ultrasounds every week. I kept telling her that I needed her to be 2 weeks late. In true Decota fashion, she didn't listen. I went in for an ultrasound one morning, and because she was showing signs of stress, did not seem to have gained any weight in the last month or so ( he thought she was 4 lbs max), and my body was starting into labor, the doctor decided I needed to be at the hospital by noon to be induced! I was not ready! I had totally convinced myself she would be late, and it was 8 days early. After I was in the hospital for a couple of hours and things were progressing, Decota's heart rate dropped in half and her stress levels increased. Everything was kind of a blur to me at that point, but I do remember that I was not fully dilated so the Dr. told me he would have to try to dilate me by hand, I remember they had life flight ready to take Decota to Albuquerque, and I remember him saying I had to push really hard while he tried to vacuum her out or I would have to have an emergency C-section. I also remember that there was a lot of family there, and nobody quite knew where to go. They wanted to give me privacy, yet they also wanted to know exactly what was going on. At one point the nurse asked me if she should send everyone away, but I did not care - I just wanted Decota to be out and healthy. And then, all of a sudden, there she was. Out, stress gone, heart rate normal, healthy, and 6 pounds (my biggest baby)! In the end, I think all of the drama was created by Decota just so everyone knew she was coming and it would be a grand entrance to remember. She seemed to say "I'm here world, and I am going to show everyone that I can fight through anything and come out stronger than you could ever guess!".

12 years later not much has changed. Decota is still a fighter, and she still loves a dramatic effect. She still has a way of sucking people in and keeping every one's attention on her (In a good way, thank goodness). She has had a life full of unusual events- Her Arthritis and Iritis of course, and all of the hospitals and doctors that come with those diseases, being attacked by a cat and bitten by it all over resulting in a trip to the ER, stuffing a whole cardboard nerds box and a paper towel up her nose while traveling because she was bored- another trip to the ER, a broken arm on the day 1st day of our move into our new house in Texas- ER again, knocking out 2 teeth on the tramp that came out through her lip- yep, ER again. And when she is not at the doctors or in the ER, she is busily involved in everything. She loves parties, spend the nights, riding bikes, going on walks, swimming, shopping, doing hair, doing nails, doing makeovers, dancing, playing soccer, going to sports events, being involved in school organizations, and talking on the phone. Life is one big social event for Decota, and she always seems to end up the belle of the ball. Through all of the good and bad in her life she just keeps surprising us with all that she can accomplish in such a positive manner.

Today was Decota's first day in Young Women's (another social event she has been greatly anticipating). I was not able to go to church today because of my knee, so Rodney got to go into Young Women's and do her official introduction to the girls. I love it when he gets a chance to say wonderful things about the kids in front of people because they are so heartfelt;yet, at the same time I felt like I missed out. If I was there this is what I would have said:

I am here to tell you all a little about your new friend Decota. I know that several of you are quite a bit older than her, but I can guarantee you she will be your friend. Decota is someone that somehow can magically break down the barriers of age and become a friend to anyone. She is very easy to talk to, and loves to listen. Although she loves to joke and tease, you will always know that when she is serious everything she says is very genuine and sincere, and she truly wants anyone that is around her to be comfortable and happy. Decota is a fighter- she not only fights for her health, she fights for her friends, she fights for fairness, she fights for people's feelings, she fights for what's right. Decota loves to be active. She is willing to jump in and try anything. She is not afraid to get her hands dirty and work hard. She loves order and organization and can easily whip a group, or a room, into shape. Decota loves to dance. Music has always been a joy for her, and she has always bopped right along to the beat. She works very hard at her dance classes, and I have no doubt that whatever she decides she wants to do with this talent, she has the ability to do it. I believer that everyone in this room will have their life blessed because of Decota's presence in it. I also believe that everyone in this room will bless Decota in her own life in their own, special, individual way. She can learn so much from all of the girls in Young Women's- please give her the opportunity to learn from you. I am so proud of the beautiful girl that Decota is. I have enjoyed her personality over the last 12 years, and have become a better person because of her in my life. I am so excited to watch her grow and blossom into an even more beautiful daughter of God as she learns and realizes her potential in this world, and as she develops an even greater relationship with her Father in Heaven. I love you Decota, and welcome to Young Women's!

It is always sad when one phase in life ends- but then it is always exciting as another one begins. I will never have a chubby cheeked little Decota with her Disney dress-ups, feather boa, and plastic high heels dragging a baby doll around the house anymore, and that makes me a bit sad (thank goodness for cameras and scrapbooks). However, I am excited to watch the now tall and lean faced Decota in her fashionable clothes, matching accessories, and "cute" shoes drag her homework around as she talks on the phone and blares music in the background. I know that the next few years may get rocky at times, that there will be many times when she may forget she likes me, and that I may feel like I'm riding a rollercoaster; however, I know that in the end I love Decota, Decota loves me, Decota is an incredible girl. I know that everything will turn out great, and that this exciting stage of growing up will only happen once in her lifetime- and I want to be there to share in every aspect of it. I am so glad she is mine, and I know (even when she says otherwise) that she feels the same way about me.

I love you Decota. Continue to have the courage to fight for what is right. Shock the world as you defeat obstacles in your way. Make this place better because you are here. And always remember- no matter how old you are, you will always be my sweet little princess!

4 comments:

Alicia said...

Happy Birthday Decota! You are very special and we love you!

papawebb said...

As I read I thought I was reading about Chanel. Like Mother - Like Daughter.

laurak said...

Beautiful. You made me cry.
Happy Birthday Decota! Watch out world, Decota is 12!

Alicia said...

Lanessa said....
Happy birthday. I love you so much. I was so happy that I was there the day you were born.I enjoyed helping your mom take care of you. I'll never forget those adorable chubby cheeks. You are such a beautiful girl with a huge heart and many talents. You are so good a making sure no one is left out(when all the cousins are together)and that everyone has a fun time.