Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Fall is here

I don't know why, but I am not a huge fan of fall. I love spring- The colors are so vibrant as they come out and after a long dreary winter, and I am so thankful to get out of my frumpy sweaters and put on a t-shirt. I love summer- I love the feel of the sun on my skin, I love to be hot, I love to drink ice water all day and not get cold from it. I used to like fall somewhat, back when I lived in New Mexico. It signaled a time for things to slow down and time to spend more time with the family. The colors were beautiful as the trees turned yellow, orange and red. You would think with all of the trees in Texas we would have a beautiful fall- WRONG. Fall here stinks. The trees just turn a sickly yellow and then brown and fall everywhere. There are no brilliant color shows, not fiery backdrops, just dead leaves. I hate to be cold. I much prefer sweating than shivering. I do not like to have to get up in the dark, or to be at practice and it be dark- at 7:00. I love to wake up with the sun and play late into the night. I am not ready to pull out sweaters again, I get so sick of them. Fall is not a time to slow down any more- life just keeps truckin' on by. The kids are just busy no matter what time of year it is. The only thing that is worse than fall is winter. I liked it better in New Mexico where we had a real winter and could go into the mountains and play in the snow. It felt like winter there. Here it just gets cold, and with all the humidity in the air it chills you to the bone. I just feels like a cold, fake winter without snow. Thank goodness it doesn't last to long here. It is nice to get a break from watering the lawn and running the AC- two very expensive things here, so I always remind myself of that to make me feel better. I do, however look forward to the day I am back in my bathing suit laying at the pool. I guess I will go switch up the kids closets and bring their warm clothes forward. Fall is knocking at my door, telling me it has arrived.

2 comments:

melanie said...

I totally ditto your comments about hating the cold weather. Although Fall is very beautiful here, I would much rather be in the warm sun all day, wearing my shorts and flip flops. I hate Winter even more.. There really is not very many good things about snow, except if it stays in the mountains and gives me water in the summer.

laurak said...

I love the fall. Unfortunately we don't get that season here in AZ. It is the end of October and it is still in the mid-90s. I spend the whole summer waiting for the winter so that we can start going to the parks, having picnics and going on bike rides. Too bad it doesn't last very long before it is hot again.
Maybe you should trim down some of the activities your family is involved in so you can enjoy them a little more. It does sound like you are running yourself ragged.