Monday, October 27, 2008

Time for an attitude adjustment

When Decota was little, and we were both mad and upset (which seems to happen to both of us at the same time, often), we would decide it was time for an attitude adjustment. In order to change our attitude we would turn each other's noses upside down and make a cute little sound effect. At that point we would laugh, hug, and life was good again. I think I am about ready to twist everyone's nose right now. We are in serious need of an attitude adjustment in the Johnson home.
Thursday Rodney parents called to let us know that they would be coming down with Alicia, Dustin and Logan for the weekend. Rodney also found out that he would have to go to Houston on Friday to watch a test being preformed for work. When I took the kids to school on Friday I made them promise to come home ready to pitch in and help me get the house clean. I decided I was going to work real hard and get at least the downstairs done by myself while they were at school. It literally took me the WHOLE school day to get my downstairs done. It took me so long to hop on one leg everywhere and clean. Vacuuming, sweeping, and moping were KILLERS. It took me at least 5 times as long as normal to do them. I was hot, sweaty, and sore, but I was determined to do it all on my own and surprise the kids. By the time picked them up from school I was EXHAUSTED. I had completed everything downstairs, did all the laundry (I developed a really great way to haul laundry baskets around by sticking my bad foot in it and dragging it behind as I hobble on my crutches), and had done all of my room except for the vacuuming in there. All the kids had left were their rooms, bathrooms, and basic chores. I thought they would be so grateful for all that I did to make it easier for them, and that they would pitch in and get it all done in 1/2 an hour. I was wrong. 3 hours later I was TICKED that I had told them to get busy a million times, and they were still goofing off. I finally yelled at them and told them to get off their lazy butts and get it done NOW! I was then informed what a rotten mom I was and how horribly I talked to my kids. Decota tried to tell me that she had a party to be at so she couldn't do her chores, she had run out of time. I didn't let her get away with that and told her that she had to finish to go- She was an hour late and was not a happy camper. By the time our company came I was aggravated- both at my kids for being such brats, and at myself for not being able to do all that I usually can. When Rodney's parents got here his mom took me to the grocery store to help me get my shopping done. I am too stubborn to ride in one of those conspicuous motorized obesity carts, so I hobbled all through the store on my crutches. By 10:00pm we were home, Rodney was back home, and the groceries were put away, but I was sore and tired. Instead of going to bed being thankful for all that I achieved in the day, I went to bed frustrated that I was so irritated with my kids and that it was taking me so much effort to do anything.
Saturday I was sore. I enjoyed the day of soccer and hanging out, but I was sore (my armpit would burn like an electric charge if my crutch put any pressure on the right place). I just felt tired and blah. I hate to feel that way when I have company because that is when it is time to play, but I was just blah.
Sunday I think we were all done for. My armpit was killing me. I had to hold my crutches a different way so that it would not touch my armpit at all, but that cramped up my hands. I felt like I was moving like a turtle, and was, quite frankly, trying to do the least I could so I didn't have to move to much. I had asked for my kids help several times, and they started saying "NO, we are sick of helping you." I was feeling SO frustrated. I am sick of asking for help. I like to do things on my own. I hate that I can't even carry a glass of water upstairs by myself. I was so mad that they flat out refused to help. No matter what, I am the mom and they should do as they are told- period. It all made me very emotional, and felt like crying on and off all day. I started being ornery to them, and when they asked for help on things I would say "I am sick of helping you"- which made me feel bad, but also made me feel good, like an 8 year old brat who "just showed you". By night I was feeling guilty, so I cooled it and helped Decota and Cambria out with some projects. Once again I was pooped by bedtime.
This morning I got up and got the kids ready. I was determined to make it a better day. Before I knew it Declan and Decota are fighting, hitting, and shoving each other. They started yelling an screaming at me to get up and fix their fight. I was instantly fired up. They had been piddling all morning. They were doing things to just irritate each other. I was done. Rodney heard them and he was done. We got everyone around the breakfast table and #1 grounded Declan and Decota all weekend next weekend, #2 lectured them on helping out, and #3 told everyone to change their attitude. They left for school with a little bit better of an attitude, but a long way to go. I am blogging with a little bit better of an attitude, but have a long way to go also.
I guess it is up to me to get my head on straight before they come home. I need to do something to set the tone for the week when they walk in the door. I will rest a while today and get some of my energy back. They want to go to this Trunk-or-Treat thing at the church tonight (notice I did not call it STIPID Trunk-or-Treat thing, which is how I feel), and I have told them no way; so I guess I could just buck up and do it because they want to (have I ever told you how much I hate Halloween- ugh, bad attitude). I will have a yummy dinner ready that smells great when they walk in the door, that always puts me in a good mood. I am going to only use my nice voice (I figure even if it sounds fake at first, my mood will eventually catch on, right). I am going to not think about all that I can't do right now, and get over it. This is temporary, I am not permanently disabled. I have figured out how to do almost everything. I am not going to whine over a couple of lost conveniences. I am LUCKY that I will soon be whole and fixed. My family is TOTALY capable of helping me out, I would do it for them, and I am NOT raising spoiled rotten brats that expect the world to wait on them hand and foot. They are good kids, they are just tired too. This all affects them also. I guess in the end it is OK for all of my family to be human, it is just time for all of us to suck it up and be better. It is time for an attitude change.

4 comments:

Chels said...

You are doing great. We all have those days, me more than others. It's just hard for you to be down and hard for your kids to see it. Good luck with it all and I know you'll get things better soon. You're a great mom and your kids know it.

Brittani said...

tag, your turn!

Brittani said...

We are not big fans of Halloween either...Grant really hates it! Sounds like quite a week. I wish I lived closer so I could come help. Hope youa re feeling better.

laurak said...

I hate it, too, when I have worked endlessly and no one appreciates it. You should be particularly peeved since you had done so much with a bum leg. You have great kids and I'm sure they were tired, but I'm glad you made them pitch in and help. It is good for them to understand that work has to get done first even if we are tired. It will make them better and more responsible adults.