Monday, September 22, 2008

Chelsey



My Funk-a-licious sister Chelsey turned 31 today (how did she get to be older than me- one of life's great mysteries). Chelsey is so fun. She is someone you can get wild and crazy with. She will still dance with you in the middle of a crowded parking lot just to embarrass your kids or make people look. She always makes you laugh when you are around her, and nieces and nephews love her. She made me crack up the other day when she told me she had been watching too much Mystery Diagnosis on the Discovery Health Channel. This is not a good idea for her. As a child Chels did nightly body scans of her body checking for bruises, scrapes, lumps and bumps. By the time she was 8 I think she had diagnosed herself with cancer 5 times. She is not such a hypochondriac anymore, yet you never know what a show like that could do to her. I can just see it now -Harley walks in the house one day with a heart shaped bruise on her forearm, and within 10 minutes Chels has diagnosed her with some rare ware wolf-like genetic mutation only previously found in Bulgaria. (J/K- kind-of) Maybe it was that paranoia of sickness that has made her such a wonderful nurturer. Chelsey is the kind of mom that you only see in shows like Leave It To Beaver- only with a funky outfit and a little bit of crazy going down. She gets up in the morning and lovingly sends her husband off to work after she has made him breakfast, way before it should be legal for people to open their eyes. She spoils you when you are sick, making sure you are comfortable and have everything you need. She picks little things up for everyone all the time just because she "saw it and thought of you", making you feel special because you were on her mind. She listens to you when you want to brag, or cry, and takes your side no matter how stupid your side is. She is not afraid to get in her grubby clothes and sit on her butt and watch movies all day with you, and not feel guilty about it. She always makes people feel comfortable around her. I have looked at her SO many times and wished I could be as compassionate as her. She draws people to her because she is so fun, but they stay around because they can feel that she cares. This year I will try to be more like Chelsey and be more nurturing to my family and friends. I will try to be a little less selfish, and give some of that self to others. I probably need to work on this the most with my own family- especially Rodney. Chelsey just seems to have that natural programming to be the mother bear defending her husband and young. This year I will become more of a bear, too. GRRRRRR! Happy Birthday Chelsey! I think our family got the best present on your birthday though- We got you!!

2 comments:

Chels said...

Nice, you couldn't photoshop the chub out of the cheeks?!!! At least you made me sound good otherwise. You are so good at making things up.

Mikael Squire said...

I don't think anyone could have said it better! I have loved reading all the great things you write about people on their birthdays. Just a warning, you better strat thinking of thing for my birthday in June so i don't get three lines. Becaise of your little tradition, I have begun to think of thing I love about people on their birthday and I thought a lot about Chels this past week. Compassion was one of the things that kept popping up in my head, as well as being a best friend even when I am at my worst. I don't believe I have ever hesitated in talking to Chels. She has the best listening ear. I love my sisters!