Sunday, September 14, 2008

Scouting

I know that I should have a good attitude about scouting, but there are just some things I have a hard time getting into. Scouting is one of them. I do not know why exactly. Declan loves everything about it. Maybe it is because of my lack of understanding of the program (although that is a cop-out because they provide you with all of the materials to learn about it). Maybe it is resentment for the fact that I can not get Rodney to even lift a finger when it comes to scouting and I feel like it is a "male thing" (although they always say that an Eagle scout owes it all to the hard work of his mother). Maybe I am just burned out on scouting because of all of the work I did with Declan to make up for a lot of missing things at the end of Cub scouts so he could get all of his awards and advancements there ( six months of working on Cub scouts 30 mins. a day, 5 days a week). Maybe it is because an error occurred and all of Declan's records were lost on what he had done up to this point, and because I was not keeping track in his book we were LOST as to what to do next. Maybe I just got my hopes up when his former leader told me that parents were not allowed to help the boys anymore, and that the church would take care of it, only to have my hopes dashed a year later when I was told that I needed to stay VERY on top of everything. Whatever the reason, it has been something that I dread. Well I have no more excuses. Declan loves scouts. You should see his eyes illuminate as he goes to an Eagle ceremony. He hangs on every speakers words, and always comments on how he can't wait to be an Eagle one day. His leaders have fixed the lost records and Declan will be promoted three ranks this month. I have been provided a complete list of all that he has done, and all that he needs to do in order to advance again, as well as where he stands on his Duty To God. It is time to buckle down. I have had some time off to think about how much I don't want to do scouting, but in actuality I am grateful for scouting and all it teaches Declan. I say that I don't know much about scouting, but I do know about the relationships that my brothers formed with their scout leaders, and I know of the great memories that they have because of scouting, and I know that I want nothing less for my son- really, that is all I need to know about scouting. I know that Declan wants to emulate his uncles in every way, and who could ever complain about that. So why am I dreading and whining about something that is so amazing for my son? OK- attitude changed- I love scouting! I am off to find another great merit badge to concur! Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Annie. said...

If it makes you feel any better, Talon didn't like Scouts either! :) To this day he still hates camping with me.

Chels said...

I dread the day Noah goea into Scouts, because I have a feeling that will be my calling. I will see how it goes all to soon, 6 months. Maybe I;ll have a better attitude then.

laurak said...

I'm glad I have a few more years until I have to work on Scouting with Spencer. I'm already dreading pushing Siena through Personal Progress.