Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Favorite Teddy Bear- Danny!


I always think of my Father-in-law as a big Teddy Bear. He is just someone you are comfortable around, feel comforted by, and can just squeeze. I LOVE my father-in-law. He is just one of them "good ol' boys". There are so many good qualities to talk about with him, but this year I am going to focus on his service. I can think of no other person quite like him. He reminds me of one of those me I grew up watching on "Little House on the Prairie". You know the type. The one that somehow always shows up to someones house when the need a hand with something. Someone that pulls up in his tractor or truck when there is hard labor to be done. Someone that checks in on children and the elderly when no one else may be checking in on them. Always running from work, to the farm, to helping someone down the road, to mending fences, bailing hay, and then attending a funeral- ALL IN THE SAME DAY. Yep- that's right- I have Charles Inglis for a father-in-law (and might I just add that I had the biggest crush on Charles when I was a kid- he was just so cute and so good). He is constantly go-go-going. With all that he has going, he never makes an excuse not to serve. I am constantly amazed at all that he does for others. It is never for recognition, never for ego, never for praise- it is just purely out of love. Danny is the most loving, caring, giving man because he gives of himself. You want an example? -Ok- When Rodney and I moved to Texas he flew out Utah and bought a truck from Alicia's husband to help them get out from under it. Then he drove to New Mexico and helped us haul everything down to Texas. He went home and fulfilled some responsibilities at his stores, and then headed to Mississippi to help clean up after Hurricane Katrina hit. When he was done there, he headed back down to Dallas to help us move all of our things in. This all took place in a WEEK! Boy do I feel crummy for grumbling about being asked to make someone dinner twice a year. Service is just a part of Danny. He will never stop serving because that is who he is. I admire his selflessness so much. I want so badly to be more like him. I would like to bless my family through service the way he has blessed us through his. This year I will try to be more willing to jump at the chance to serve; to not look at it as a burden to me, but as an opportunity to lift someone else's load. I love my father-in-law. I KNOW I scored when I got him. I am so lucky that my husband was raised with this wonderful man as his ultimate role model. I am lucky that my children have him for a grandfather. I hope they will know and understand all of the wonderful things he has done to make others lives better! Happy Birthday Danny- I Love You!

(His real Birthday is September 26th, I did not forget him, I am just getting around to writing about him)

1 comment:

laurak said...

Happy Birthday, Brother Johnson. I agree with everything Chanel said. You are a great man and have always been a good example of a hard worker. I can hardly remember you ever sitting down. All that and a happy disposition to top it off. What more could you ask for in a good man!