Friday, September 19, 2008

He's Back

Rodney made it home tonight. He will be here until Sunday, when he will fly out to Green Bay and cheer on his beloved Cowboys. I missed him and was anxious for him to come home- but it can be a bit hard to adjust to having him back. I feel like I go through this every time he has been gone for more than 3 days. I really was excited for him to get home, and I think he was excited to get home too, but the illusion of him walking in the door and having a night at home straight from the Donna Reed Show is always quickly shattered. Why is it he can find so much to gripe at everyone about in such a short time. Why do I always feel like my efforts to take care of everything while he is gone are never enough. Why is it so hard for me to just go back to life as normal, and not feel disappointed that it is the same. We have been doing this traveling thing for so many years, a decade in fact, yet it is always the same. Happy to see each other, dog bouncing off the walls because dad is home, kids give a brief hello and then off to play, he finds something I've done wrong, I get offended, he finds something else that is not right, I'm ticked, kids getting gripped at for not doing something right, now I'm really ticked and am counting down the hours until he leaves again while pretending like he isn't around, he feels bad for being a jerk, I'm still too mad to accept an apology, he wont leave me alone, I start to cave in just a little bit and talk to him, he bugs the crap out of me until I eventually end up laughing at him, life is back to normal. Why this same routine every time? You would think we would have it all figured out by now- I guess we don't. At least we love each other and can put up with the drama week after week. I guess it would not be us if it was any different.

1 comment:

laurak said...

I bet that is hard having him come and go so much. I think that is typical for others in your same position. Maybe you should give Rodney a rule that he has to wait 24 hours before he can say anything negative. That way he can still get things off his chest, but you all get to decompress and enjoy each other for a while.