Monday, September 15, 2008

Lanessa

Today is Lanessa's birthday. I have decided that I want to take some time to write my thoughts about, and feelings for that person on their birthday. I want my children to know how I felt about people. (Remember this is my journal, you are not allowed to be offended when I write about you!)

Lanessa is one of the most genuinely sweet people I know. I worry about her because she is so naturally sweet (I mean, if she were a food item she would be pure cane juice straight from the sugar cane). Why would I worry about her for being sweet? Because I feel like she wants everyone to be so happy. It affects her so much when someone is unhappy. I feel like she wears a heavy load on her back trying to keep a smile on everyone's face. I hope that she takes the time to do things for herself that make her truly happy. I hope that she realizes that her sweet presence makes difficult things more pleasant. I hope that she realizes that she doesn't have to fix problems, but that problems seem more manageable because she genuinely cares. I also hope that she realizes that you can not make everyone happy all of the time, and that is OK.
I wish I had a closer relationship with Lanessa. It is so sad to say that. We are both so busy in our lives that time just flies by. I joined her family when she was just a teenager. I was fortunate enough to have her live with me for a year while she was in college, and I truly enjoyed getting to know her better and watching her become more independent. I LOVE her children and think she has an incredible family. I am very impressed with how incredibly she has done in nursing school while raising a family. I hope she realizes she is an example to me, and that I am in awe of her. I hope that she knows how much I love her. She will never know how many times I have watched her interacting with others, and have seen how her gentle compassion has affected them. I have wished many times that I could display a fraction of the love, compassion, and patience that she exudes in one small gesture. Can you even imagine having a nurse like her? Now can you imagine having a husband/wife, mother, daughter, sister, or friend like her. I am truly blessed, and I will work harder this year to #1: become more like her, and #2 spend more quality time with her so that she will know how much I care for her. Happy Birthday Lanessa- I am thinking of you today!

2 comments:

laurak said...

Happy Birthday to Lanessa. You are right, she has always been a sweetheart and beautiful, too.

Alicia said...

She had a wonderful birthday! We were without electricity on Sunday, but we cooked her a big steak dinner with all the fixings. We couldn't bake a cake, but we bought one. Anyways on her actual birthday I watched the kids all day since they didn't have school because of the outtage, and we bake her 2 little cakes and the kids each decorated one all by themselves. She was so shocked and LOVED their creativity. She is a wonderful person, and I feel so blessed to have her as a sister!