Tuesday, September 16, 2008

What is with the teachers these days?


I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe a little bit about the teachers these days. I rarely have problems with teachers. The only time it really has ever come up in in Middle School and with Declan. Before for 7th grade everyone just loved him to death. There were never enough good things to say about him. Since 7th grade I am not sure anyone knows he exists. It is SO frustrating to me. Last year I started noticing that I would get very little to no response from teachers. I realize that he is a good child, and really is not needy, but I still feel that they should get to know him. After a year of being in the athletics class, playing football, and running cross country, the head coach didn't even know his name or what sporting events he had played in. This year seems to be playing out much the same, and it is very frustrating to me. This year Declan has enrolled in ALL pre-AP or honors classes- every subject. The teachers PILE the work on. They expect a lot from these kids. An assignment that is one day late is a zero, no exceptions. It is a lot of pressure to have one advanced class, let alone a full schedule (he made the choice to do it though, so I have to let him try). I went to the meet the teacher for parents at his school the other day and I was shocked to find out that his math teacher didn't know who he was (come on- it has been 3 full weeks of school already). After staring a me with a blank look on her face for a minute she said, "Oh, is he the blond kid in the back?" How would I know? I don't go to school with him. Then she continued to tell me, "Well, I guess if he got on my nerves I would know who he was." Like that is supposed to make me feel better. She also said, "Yeah, I think he didn't do so hot on his test today." I'm thinking "Have you figured out who he is then?" Guess not, he made a 100%. Ugh!!!!! I did not get much of a better response from his other teachers, although they knew who he was; except for his history teacher. He asked about Declan's schedule, was impressed that he had decided to take such a heavy load, and offered his help at any time since he was such a driven student. (It always feels great to have someone, especially a teacher, validate your child's hard work.) Well tonight proved to be another disappointment for Declan and I both. Declan had his first football game and was in the game for one whole play (the kick off after 1/2 time) which lasted about 7 seconds. That was it. I understand that Declan is not the greatest football player, his first year was last year and some of these kids have been playing since they were 4. He is 2nd string B team, and happy as he can be about it. Somehow he just gets over looked. Throughout the whole game they forgot to put Declan in as they gave other 2nd string kids the chance to sub here and there. He would have been happy with one turn as a lineman. What is ridiculous is that instead of trying to teach all of the kids how to play, they choose about 15 kids they want to work with and have them play all of the offensive and defensive positions (like one kid who literally only came out for 1 play the whole game). The other kids look on and do not get a chance to try. In practice they do drills for 1/2 of the practice, and then the rest of the practice the 2nd strings watch the first string A and B teams play each other- never do they get to play. I understand wanting to win and working with those who already have the game down. I guess what frustrates me is that Declan does so much juggling to attend EVERY practice. I know he is learning. He never goofs off on the sidelines, he is always right next to the coach watching and cheering for his team mates. He stays up extra late to do his homework so that he can be at practices and games. He is trying to be a well rounded athlete. Yet when the 1st string player gets benched because of his grades, and they tell Declan in practice that he will be the starter in the game, they change their mind at the last minute and pull someone down from A team. Not only that, but they don't let him play at all. It just crushes a kids self-esteem and makes him feel invisible. Declan is very intimidated by his coaches. He didn't even think they knew his name until recently. When I was a kid my teachers were authority figures as well as friends. I was comfortable talking to them, and I felt like they cared for me, not just my test scores. When did a teacher become someone that just sees a child as a score on a state assessment exam, or a win for their ego, and not as a developing human mind & body, with emotions?

4 comments:

laurak said...

I agree with you, but don't have any advice. Teachers and coaches should definitely get to know their kids names and have some idea of who they are. It's a shame they only know who the bad kids are. I'm amazed that he is so involved in that many things. He's a go-getter and any teacher worth anything will get to know and like him for his dedication and hard work.

Alicia said...

That's a hard one to deal with, because you don't want to say anything because then the teachers will probably act different. I wonder how you could bring it to their attention??? I know what he's going through, it was like that in our little high school. I mean they knew our names because it was such a small school, but they difinately didn't give the same attention to all the students. Good Luck!

Annie. said...

That must be frustrating! Tell Declan good job for all his hard work. That's what matters most. My friend posted a quote on her blog today that I'll bet he will appreciate. Although it comes from Harry Potter, I really do think there's a lot of truth in it: "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." ~Dumbledore, Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets

melanie said...

I had the same experience with my son, Jerin, except it started early. I was tired of them overlooking him. So, this year I did something about it. I took them all out of government education and found alternatives through private schools and other means. Best decision I have ever made.